Topic of interest:
When we bow to Christ’s true superiority we no longer need to seek our own.
Speaking about the passages found in John 4:1-45.
My teenage daughter’s response:
Sure, we are not superior, but as humans created in the image of God, we are always going to search for it. To create, to live, to know… it comes from a small wanting inside all of us to be like God.
Is it terrible to want to be like God? No, because we as humans strive to be like the people we think of as great. It is not terrible to strive for greatness. It is only when that greatness consumes us that we forget why we wanted it in the first place.
Great and terrible people throughout history have strived for this unreachable greatness to the point of madness. To be like God and to be God, are two different points. Though they both sound equally good, one is always available and one never is.
~Brianna Cook (Age 16)
Photo credit: pixabay.com
“The Lord never fails me. His purpose is always so much greater than my own.” ~M
Originally posted: November 20, 2015
Photo credit: Pinterest.com
“The world is a much happier place, with an understanding friend by your side.” ~M
Photo credit: pixabay.com
Today I wanted to talk a little bit about who God really is. Have you ever really thought about what God is like? I have spent years compiling a list of the attributes of God. On days when I feel distant from Him, I reach for my list to see the way the Bible defines Him. Somehow knowing what He is like, gives me more confidence in my relationship with Him. The Bible holds the truth about who He is and what He stands for, so that we can gain a better understanding of Him. I would like to share with you the list that I have put together, and I would also like to know if any of you have something to add to the list and where it can be found in the Bible. Here’s my list:
- A consuming fire – Hebrews 12:29
- My strong fortress – 2 Samuel 22:33
- Spirit – John 4:24
- Love – 1 John 4:8
- Great – Psalm 147:5
- Abundant in strength – Psalm 147:5
- Understanding – Psalm 147:5
- The first – Isaiah 44:6
- The last – Isaiah 44:6
- The only God – Isaiah 44:6
- The maker of all things – Isaiah 44:24
- The head of Christ – 1 Corinthians 11:3
- A God of peace – 1 Corinthians 15:33
- Light – 1 John 1:5
- A Jealous God – Deuteronomy 4:24
- A witness between you and me – Genesis 31:50
- A compassionate God – Deuteronomy 4:31
- The faithful God – Deuteronomy 7:9
- Just – 2 Thessalonians 1:6
- A warrior – Exodus 15:3
- My strength – Exodus 15:2
- My song – Exodus 15:2
- My salvation – Exodus 15:2
- Majestic in holiness – Exodus 15:11
- Awesome in praises – Exodus 15:11
- Highly exalted – Exodus 15:21
- A victorious warrior – Zephaniah 3:17
- The shepherd and the guardian of our souls – 1 Peter 2:25
Do any of these attributes speak to your heart more than another? The last two are my favorite… He is a victorious warrior and the shepherd and guardian of my soul. Who could want anything more? Please feel free to add your attributes of God in the comments section and also add the reference for where you found the attribute. I would love to add more to my ever growing list!
I also found this as I was researching…
This list was found at: thethirdcross.wordpress.com
Originally posted: March 6, 2016