Sketching Week 6

 IMG-0373 (1)

Here’s my final project for this week.  I took photos along the way to show the entire process.  The overall drawing took me approximately 15 hours to complete and I used a 4B graphite pencil for the entire drawing.  I was surprised a handkerchief could take this long to sketch.  Lol… 😉

Light and Shading – Week 5

 

IMG-9260 (1)

Every week, I feel like my projects get more difficult, and as simple as this one looks with just a couple of boxes and a ball, it really was my most difficult project yet.  This one was sketched using a 2B and 6B graphite pencil and took a couple of days to complete.  I’m just relieved that it’s done, and feel like I could still spend a few more hours perfecting it even now.  However, I’ve already turned in this project for the week and I’m ready to never have to look at this one again!  Lol…

Sketch 4 – Final Version

FullSizeRender (1)

Well, here’s my final sketch for my mid-term project.  My teacher didn’t really want me adding anything else, but I snuck in an extra book because I thought it looked too plain without it.  He also wanted me to shade the table, so I did that as well.  This was a lot more difficult from my first sketch since this one was done in charcoal and my original sketch was done in graphite.  Hopefully I get a good grade.  My teacher seems like a tough grader and so far I’m at an 89%.  So I’ve got to bring that up a bit if I want to get an “A” in the class.  Hope everyone is having a good weekend!  😉

Sketching – Week 4

IMG-75842

Well, here’s more of what I’ve been up to this week.  Each week we have a quick sketch that’s due on Wednesday, and then by Sunday, we turn in a final drawing.  This is my Wednesday sketch.  I’m still not sure what my final layout will be for Sunday.  I’ll be starting it tonight, and I think I’ll be adding another book and possibly a bottle to give my still life a little more interest.  Wish me luck, cause it’s for my mid-term project and worth nearly half my grade.  Yikes!  😉

For all of my poetic friends out there, this one’s for you!

img_0024

Some of you may know this and others may not, but I have only been writing poetry for about a year now.  I started this blog a couple of years ago, writing mostly short stories and some inspirational quotes.  And now as most of you have probably noticed, I have switched to writing mostly poetry.

In fact, I counted my poems the other day, and in a years’ time, I have written almost 400 poems.  I was certainly amazed when I realized how many I had written, and that doesn’t even include the ones in the “To be completed” folder.  There’s probably another 100 in there. 

To me this tells me, that I’m finally making progress, and that feels really good.  I love the thrill I get when I complete a job, and I know I’ve put forth my best effort.  And now because of my effort, I’ve had a store owner become interested in my work.

While I was downtown with a friend one day, I got to talking with one of the store owners, and I explained to her that I am a writer, and told her about my blog.  Well apparently, she searched for my blog and liked what she saw, and so the next time I was downtown, she ended up asking me if she could sell my poems at her shop. 

So over the past few weeks, I have been getting my poems ready to sell.  I thought I‘d give all of you a quick tutorial on what I did, just in case you decide you’d like to learn about a fun creative way, to sell your poems too. 

Here are the basic supplies you will need, if you decide to make this project.  (Frame, ribbon or other types of decorations (see pictures below), mat, scissors, surface protector, and a hot glue gun.

img_0029

Here are examples of some other decorative materials, that you could use.

img_0027

img_0034

Then, it’s just a matter of affixing the ribbon, or other decorative item, to your mat. (Cut your pieces, then… wrap, tie, glue, etc.)

img_0031

And in the end, you may want to make a few more like these…

img_0033

Then, the only thing left to do, is to put your finished mat and poem, into a frame of your choice, and there you go!

img_0010

 

Office Update

10

Now that I’m back from vacation, I figured I should give all of you an update on the progress of my office.  All I can say is… I’m glad it’s finally finished!

As some of you probably remember from last month, I decided to paint a tree on my office wall in hopes of having a more cheerful writing space.  The entire project only took about a month to complete and I only worked on it when I had a few hours to spare here and there.  The hardest part was waiting for the paint to dry in-between coats.  Each leaf took an average of four coats of paint.

I have never painted anything on a large scale like this before and found it to be quite tedious and very challenging at times.  My original outline of the tree had to be redrawn; as I wanted the branches to be able to stretch over to another wall, and my first attempt just didn’t bring it close enough.

Overall I’m happy with the outcome.  I think it will be hard to leave behind my tree when we eventually move.  I’m already thinking ahead of what I might paint in my next room.  Anyway, here’s the pictures… sorry about the quality, the camera on my phone takes horrible pictures.  At least it gives you an idea of how my writing room finally turned out.

30
My office before the makeover.  So boring…..
20160329_164123
Painting the background after roughing in the basic outline.
40
Starting to take form…
50
Bare bones…
60
Finally some color!
20
All finished!
10
So glad to finally have a place where I can shut the door and have some peace and quiet while I write.  🙂